The Faculty of Theology of Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University in Warsaw is endowed with rich history. It existed at the Royal University of Warsaw, established in 1816. It operated until the University was closed in 1831; then its activity was continued at the Main Seminary (1823-1835), and finally at the Roman-Catholic Clerical Academy (1835-1867). The Theological Faculty came into being again at the University of Warsaw in 1918. After the World War II, the faculty became active in 1945, in 1954 it became part of the Academy of Catholic Theology and since 1999 it has been included into the Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University. The achievements of the faculty are important, it has employed many eminent theologians and instructed thousands of graduates. Its merits for the Church and Polish culture are not to be neglected. The following scientific degrees and titles in theology were awarded at the Theological Faculty of the Academy of Catholic Theology (1954-1999): 85 professional bachelor's degrees, 4853 master's degrees, 762 canonical licentiates, 313 doctor's degrees, 92 nostrifications of doctorates and 89 degrees of habilitated doctor (dr hab.). The following scientific degrees and titles in theology have been awarded at the Theological Faculty of Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University (from 1 October 1999 to 16 June 2008): 3916 bachelor's degrees, 5718 master's degrees, 1315 canonical licentiates, 299 doctor's degrees, 71 nostrifications of doctorates, 45 dr hab. degrees and 23 professor's titles in theology. In addition, the Institute of Studies of the Family has awarded 1733 master's degrees in studies of the family. Nowadays, the Theological Faculty of Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University is composed of six institutes: Institute of Theology, Institute of Media Education and Journalism, Institute of the Studies of Culture, Institute of Theology in Radom, Institute of Apostleship Theology, Institute of Studies of the Family. The Theological Faculty includes as well the Non-local Didactical Centre in Gdynia. Three clerical seminaries are affiliated at the Theological Faculty: Higher Clerical Seminary in Plock, Gdansk Clerical Seminary in Gdansk-Oliwa, Higher Clerical Seminary of Catholic Apostleship in Oltarzew. The following institutions are bound with the Faculty of Theology of the Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University with the cooperation agreement: Archdiocese Clerical Seminary in Bialystok, Higher Clerical Seminary in Lódz, Higher Clerical Seminary in Lomza, Franciscan Higher Clerical Seminary in Lódz-Lagiewniki, Higher Clerical Seminary of the Salesian Society in Lad nad Warta, Higher Clerical Seminary of the Salesian Society in Lódz.
Financed by the National Centre for Research and Development under grant No. SP/I/1/77065/10 by the strategic scientific research and experimental development program:
SYNAT - “Interdisciplinary System for Interactive Scientific and Scientific-Technical Information”.