Liver resection is essential part of colorectal cancer liver metastases (CLM) treatment. Mean 5-year overall survival after resection achieves 30-45%. There are many factors influencing long-term outcomes, and among them the inflammatory response to tumor plays an important role.
<bold>The aim of the study </bold>was evaluation of outcomes and treatment safety of patients with metastatic colorectal cancer to the liver with estimation of prognostic factors.
<bold>Material and methods. </bold>130 consecutive patients (70 men and 60 women) operated in MSC Institute and Cancer Center in Gliwice from 2001 to 2009 due to colorectal liver metastases were analysed. Age of the patients ranged from 33 to 82 years (median 60 years). 96 (74%) patients underwent potentially radical resection, and in remaining 34 (26%) was performed radiofrequency ablation (RFA) alone or combined with the resection. In the resection group 37 right hepatectomies, 11 left hepatectomies, 28 segmentectomies and 20 metastasectomies were performed. Disease-free survival (DFS) and overall survival (OS) were statistically analysed using the Kaplan-Meier method. Factors determining DFS and OS were analysed using Cox regression model.
<bold>Results. </bold>In the resection group the 3- and 5-years OS was 64,5% and 46,6% respectively, and the 3- and 5-years DFS was 32% and 30,5% respectively. In the RFA group the 3- and 5-years OS was 33% and 9,5%. Statistically significant prognostic factors in the resection group in uni- and multivariate analysis were: grade and nodal involvement of the primary tumor, diameter of metastatic focus, positive and narrow (<1 mm) resection margins, preoperative fibrinogen level, preoperative neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio and leukocyte amount of the peripheral blood. The perioperative mortality rate was 3%.
<bold>Conclusions. </bold>Liver resection due to colorectal liver metastases is a safe and effective method resulting in high survival rates. We confirmed some generally accepted prognostic factors influencing longterm outcomes and shown the impact of inflammatory response. We also confirmed the hypothesis that preoperative plasma fibrinogen level influences outcomes after liver resection due to CLM.
Department of Oncological and Reconstructive Surgery, Maria Skłodowska-Curie Memorial, Institute and Cancer Centre in Gliwice, 44-100 Gliwice, Wybrzeże Armii Krajowej 15, Kierownik: dr n. med. S. Półtorak
Financed by the National Centre for Research and Development under grant No. SP/I/1/77065/10 by the strategic scientific research and experimental development program:
SYNAT - “Interdisciplinary System for Interactive Scientific and Scientific-Technical Information”.