The document entitled 'A description of the condition of the grange buildings in Czartajewo on the 24th (12th ) of June 1854' was compiled in order to make an inventory and estimate the value of the estate inherited by Stefan Ciecierski (1821-1888) from his father Dominik (1782-1828) and older brother Justyn (1805-1829). During Stefan's minority the estate had been supervised by his mother Konstancja nee Grzybowska (1788-1857) , and two guardians: Onufry Pienkowski, an official of the Drohiczyn district, and Józef Lyszczynski, a former magistrate of the Main Court of the Bialystok Department. On the 12th of October 1853 Stefan Ciecierski married Maria Jadwiga Rzewuska and took over the estate, starting his thirty-five-year-long personal management of the family inheritance. Thus, we can suppose that the document in question was meant as an inventory and valuation of Ciecierski's property at the time when, as a mature and stabilised man, he replaced his mother as the manager of the estate. The document describes the granges in Czartajewo, Baciki, Moszczona, Piszczatka and Slowiczyn (the seat of the forestry inspectorate), and the ranger lodges in Dobitki, Moszczona, Baciki and Weremiejki. All those places are located in the vicinity of Siemiatycze, and the Slowiczyn grange is now within the administrative boundaries of this town. The document consists of two parts. The first one, entitled 'A description of the condition of the grange buildings in Czartajewo on the 24th (12th ) of June 1854' has been written on 10 sheets measuring 37 x 22.5 cm. It is supplemented with two additional sheets, measuring 34 x 21.5 cm, containing 'A description of ranger lodges'. The second part, showing a different handwriting, bears some crossings and corrections, but it is signed and sealed, so it was probably treated as the final version. Both parts are fastened with cord, whose ends are sealed to the paper with red wax. The seals are very well preserved. The discussed inventory is known to very few researchers, as is the whole archive of the Augustynowicz-Ciecierski family, comprising almost 1000 manuscripts and occasional prints from the 17th-19th c., which has been kept for thirty years now in the Museum of Agriculture in Ciechanowiec. The document is a valuable source of data concerning one of the richest and most influential families in Podlasie in the 19th century.
Financed by the National Centre for Research and Development under grant No. SP/I/1/77065/10 by the strategic scientific research and experimental development program:
SYNAT - “Interdisciplinary System for Interactive Scientific and Scientific-Technical Information”.