The study discusses fifteen paintings by Károly Markó sr., eleven of which went to Mexico and four were offered to Mexico for purchase. The name of Károly Markó the Elder first crops up in the catalogue of the sixth exhibition of the Mexican Academy in 1854, when two of his paintings - 'Flight from Egypt' and 'The Savior and the woman of Samaria' - were put on display. The two paintings, together with a Pastoral received by Pelegrin Clavé from the painter, presumably in return for his help, are preserved in Barcelona's Museum d'Art Modern. There are four Markó paintings in the Museo Nacional de San Carlos in Mexico City: The Baptism of Christ and Offence against the Law were ordered by the San Carlos National Academy in Mexico City for their 8th exhibition in 1855, the Calling of St Peter and the Healing of the demoniac were ordered for the 9th showing in 1856. Markó's last four paintings were exhibited in the 11th annual exposition in 1858 thanks to the commission given to him by the conservative politician Octaviano Munoz Ledo. Of these paintings, only The Saviour calming the storm can be found in Puebla, in Museo José Luis Bello y Zetina. Four years after the death of Károly Markó the Elder, in 1864, the Mexican consul in Genoa informed the Mexican state of an offer by a friend of his, who wanted to sell four paintings to the faraway country. The initially highly acclaimed and respected paintings have fallen victim to art historical misunderstandings. This paper intended to find the studies, sketches made for the Mexican works: the drawings that can be associated with the Mexican works have been preserved by the collections of prints and drawings in the Christian Museum in Esztergom. It awaits future researchers to find Markó's late works probably 'hiding' in Mexican private collections and the ones he offered for sale to the Mexican state. They also have to make amends by clarifying the establishment and development of the relationship between Pelegrín Clavé, Eugenio Landesio and Károly Markó.
Financed by the National Centre for Research and Development under grant No. SP/I/1/77065/10 by the strategic scientific research and experimental development program:
SYNAT - “Interdisciplinary System for Interactive Scientific and Scientific-Technical Information”.