Anastomotic aneurysms may develop after any type of vascular surgery, in different areas of the arterial system, and require reoperation. The frequency of occurrence of the above-mentioned is estimated at 1-5%.
<bold>Material and methods. </bold>During the period between 1989 and 2010, 180 patients with 230 anastomotic aneurysms were subject to surgical intervention at the Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, Warsaw Medical University. The study group comprised 21 (11.7%) female and 159 (88.3%) male patients, aged between 30 and 87 years (mean age - 62.8 years). In relation to the number of anastomoses aneurysms were diagnosed in 2.1% of cases. Twenty-four (10.4%) patients were diagnosed with recurrent aneurysms.
<bold>Results. </bold>Surgical procedures performed were as follows: artificial prosthesis implantation (119), reanastomosis (40), patch plasty (25), graftectomy (19), prosthesis replacement (9), and stent-graft (7) implantation. 195 (84.8%) aneurysms were subject to planned surgery, while 35 (15.2%) required emergency intervention.
77.8% of patients were diagnosed with aseptic aneurysms, while the remaining 22.2% with infected perioperative aneurysms.
Good treatment results were obtained in 149 (82.8%) patients. Limb amputations were performed in 19 (10.5%) cases. Twelve (6.7%) patients died as a consequence of infection and general complications.
<bold>Conclusions. </bold>Vascular reoperations are a difficult clinical problem and are burdened with a high rate of complications. The above-mentioned often require complex treatment, in order to improve therapeutic results.
Financed by the National Centre for Research and Development under grant No. SP/I/1/77065/10 by the strategic scientific research and experimental development program:
SYNAT - “Interdisciplinary System for Interactive Scientific and Scientific-Technical Information”.